Agri-Cover, Inc. started a Go Green program in 2008. Within the first year of going GREEN we cut our amount of waste going to the local landfill in half. Here’s what we are doing today:
#1: Reducing Waste Output
Implemented a company-wide recycling program
- Recycling bins were set up to be easily available in designated stations around the plant floor. Includes all materials that our local recycling center can take, i.e. plastics, paper, glass…etc.
- Changed all pop machines to Aluminum Cans instead of plastic bottles. Money earned by recycling Aluminum Cans goes into a fund for employee lunches.
- Company supplied drink cups to all employees to reduce amount of waste created by paper and Styrofoam cups in the cafeterias.
- Reduced Bathroom Waste by changing from paper towels to handy dryers.
- Reduced amount of mail/magazines we receive by contacting sender and asking to be removed from their mailing list.
Supplier Partnership to Reduce Waste:
- Agri-Cover’s purchasing department worked closely with suppliers to make changes in how our raw materials are being packaged and sent to us.
#2: Reduce fuel usage and automotive waste by-products
- Conduct a monthly drawing for employees who carpool with gas gift cards.
- Switched to synthetic oil in all company vehicles
#3: Education & Participation Is Key
- Established a GREEN Committee –includes senior management and employees from various departments, so there is commitment on all levels in the company.
- Education through employee intranet site that is updated daily.
- Flyers/internal documents educating employees.
- Invited employees to bring their recycling from home and use Agri-Cover as their drop site. This reduces the amount of fuel being used to drop of materials at the Jamestown Recycling Center. Currently we have a 33% participation rate from our employees.
- Company garden that feeds employee lunches during the summer and makes use of otherwise unused company property.